To me, one of the most important things any story needs is a good title. A snappy, quick and easy to remember title is important for grabbing someone’s attention. For example: Star Wars. It tells you exactly what you’d need to know about what you’re in for: a war in space.
More often than not, titles are the most alluring aspects of a story. It’s the one that draws people in, and then it’s up to the story’s hook to do the rest. An simply coming up with titles is one of my favorite pass times as a writer.
And then there are titles like: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.
Since that show is currently sitting at #2 on Crunchyroll’s catalog (right behind Black Clover, which is somehow at #1), I figured I’d talk about the different shows of this ilk. Now, I won’t be talking about the content of all of these shows, as I haven’t watched any of the listed ones all the way through, but I will touch as many as I can.
I’m sorry, but these titles are the creative equivalent of click bait. It’s hard for me to get interested in a show when I’m so busy laughing at the title. And I assure you, they get ridiculous.
These titles include…
- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (as mentioned earlier)
- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (y’know you can just go watch actual porn, right?)
- How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (a lot of Isekai shows have titles like this)
- The Master of Ragnarok and the Blesser of Einherjar (still a terrible title and a terrible show, by the way)
- Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (which is getting a second season)
- In Another World with My Smartphone (again, Isekai)
And so on.
How the hell are titles like these as common as they are?!
Again, I can’t attest to the quality of most of these shows (Demon Lord and Ragnarok are both pretty fucking terrible, though) but I sure as hell can critique the titles.
Now, to be fair, many of these shows are comedies. In that regard, the hilarious titles do kind of make sense. But at the same time… seriously? I’m supposed to say that every time I want to talk about this show?
“Hey man, you watch any good anime lately?”
“Uh yeah, I’ve been watching ‘That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime’ and ‘Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon’. How about you?”
“I’ve been keeping up with… ‘Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai’…”
“Is that any good?”